While watching the last (boo hoo!) season of Mad Men, my eye was drawn to an adorable pillow in the shape of a lion’s face, on the bed in the kid’s room in Don’s apartment. I knew I wanted to try to recreate it for my own kids.
A while ago, I bought a few things from one of those dodgy online stores where everything is ultra cool and ultra cheap and ships direct from Hong Kong. Well, i learned my lesson – everything was either ridiculously tiny, or didn’t look the least bit like the photo on the website. I gave away a couple of pieces to (smaller) friends, but hung onto this cardigan because the shaggy mustard knit was begging to be made into something lion-ey! I considered a lion costume for my baby daughter for next Halloween, but ditched the idea as I’ve got far more awesome plans in the pipeline for her 🙂
Anyway this knit is just perfect for this pillow – I’m imagining that the back is all fuzzy mane.
So. This was a pretty quick and dirty sew, but i documented it a little…
First i drew a quick pattern using a couple of large bowls to get the circle shapes, a glass for the eye circles, and i eyeballed the rest. I cut one large circle out of the sweater, plus another with a hole in the middle to be the hair around the lion’s face. I cut another big circle out of a yellow knit fabric, and nose and eye parts from fleece. All using my trusty rotary cutter!
First i sewed the front part of the mane to the front of the yellow circle.
The nice thing about the fluffy knit is that the edge is hidden in all that fluff, and so are the stitches! Next, i worked on attaching the face.
I’m a fan of both contrasting stitches on something like this, and my sewing machine’s applique stitch. I attached the nose and eyes with this method.
Next, I added the mouth using some darning yarn, completing the face.
Not sure if the pillow I was copying had ears or not, but I decided mine should. I cut semi – circular ears from the pockets of the fluffy sweater, which were made of matching yarn, stuffed them slightly, then sandwiched them in between the yellow face circle and the outside edge of the mane. Sewed that all the way around.
All that was left was to sew the front and back pieces together, right side to right side, flip right side out, stuff, and then sew up the opening!
Love this little dude! It looks pretty legit vintage! Roar!